Find out what features are included in PS3 system software update 3.61.
An update to the PS3 system software was released on 15 May 2011. If you update your PS3 system, the system software version will be 3.61 and the following features will be updated. In order to download PS3 system software version 3.61, you will need a minimum 180MB of free space on either the PS3 Hard Disk Drive (System Update) or on removable storage media (PC Update).
Main features in system software update version 3.61
An unauthorized access to PlayStation Network has been confirmed and, as a security measure, a process that requires all Sony Entertainment Network account holders to change passwords has been added.
After you update to version 3.61, you will be required to change your account password the first time you sign in to PlayStation Network. Please change the passwords for all of your Sony Entertainment Network accounts. Visit eu.playstation.com/ps3psn for further details.
- When you change your password, an email message may be sent to the email address registered with PlayStation Network (your sign-in ID). If you cannot receive messages at your registered email address, you will not be able to change your password.
- If you cannot receive messages at the email address you have registered as your sign-in ID, prepare an email address that you can use to receive messages and contact us at ae.playstation.com/contact before you attempt to change your password.
- Depending on your country/region of residence and the network environment you are using, you may not be able to change your Sony Entertainment Network account password or make use of PlayStation Network services for some time after updating your PS3 system software.
- The ability to change Sony Entertainment Network account passwords and use PlayStation Network services - except for PlayStation Store - will be made available in all regions within a few days.
- Depending on the software title, you may not be able to play without first updating the PS3 system software.
- Do not perform updates using any data other than the official update data provided by Sony Computer Entertainment over a network or on disc media, and do not perform updates by methods other than those described in the product documentation or in this site. If an update is performed using data from another source, by another method, or with a PS3 system that has been altered or modified in any way, the PS3 system may not operate properly and may not be able to install the official update data. Any of these actions may void the PS3 system warranty and affect your ability to obtain warranty services and repair services from Sony Computer Entertainment.